December 09, 2004

romeo + juliet

I don't know if it was youth or college-life or just old times gone by. But one of the things I really really miss is driving around on long, scenic routes singing at the top of my lungs with someone.

Nowadays it's different. Now, I still have long drives, but it's through rush-hour traffic and i'm dying to be anywhere but the car. I still sing at the top of my lungs, but it just bounces off the walls and windows and I'm the only one appreciating the fun of it. There's no one there with me, giggling at my silliness or me at theirs (unless the person in the traffic jam next to me finds me amusing).

Before, it was late-night drives with the windows all the way down (even if it was cold) and there was someone sitting in the seat next to me - sometimes even in the back seat - and we'd crank up the volume and just sing wildy, crying over what we thought were our greatest loves. We'd take all the long ways and the backroads. Hines Park, Ford Road (past the suburbs), Gotfredson Rd., Prospect Rd. and all the little side roads in between ... We'd pull over and sit on the gravel and stare at the stars, not worrying about who might be peeking out of the house just down the road. We'd remember that we had to get up early the next morning, but we'd still stop off for a slurpee on the way home and sing just a little bit more.

I miss the wind whipping through my hair, carefree and passionate, just like we were while we sang.

2 comments:

angi said...

"memories..." i was just reading my journal from back in the days about long drives and thinking that your heart would fall out because you were so in love, or heartbroken...man those were the days..not that i don't appreciate the days now, but driving one hour to work is much different than driving ( and smoking like a fiend-not that that is good,but it was then) and drinking slurpees, and laughing or crying with your best friends and fellow comiseraters with the moon roof open and the starts following you home...also gas was only like $1.05 then :)

Sarah said...

sheeeit, i remember when i started driving gas was only $0.98! (uh, i'm starting to sound old)

sigh. i do still have some $$$ left on that Slurpee card you got me. May have to use that up soon! :)