December 01, 2004

i'd like to thank the academy

So, today i am the recipient of a "Keep The Light On" award at work. Pretty much means, I keep the topic of Diversity at Ford in the forefront and am a good example of what it means to be diverse and accepting of others. Normally I don't really give a rat's ass about these little acknowledgements given here at work; I'd rather have a pay increase. But today, I feel a little proud. Not only were many nominated from my department and only I won, but the other winners from the other departments were all managers and supervisors and general higher-ups. Hell, I don't even work for Ford directly!

The award itself is like an Emmy or something - it's clear glass (well, it's sturdy plastic, but looks like glass, so...) and stands about 10" tall in the shape of a flame (Keep The Light On, get it?). My name is etched in it next to a light bulb along with the Ford logo, the name of the award, my dept. and the year.

And here's the part that I think is cool, which is odd since I normally am not into the whole "corporate ladder" thing. I accepted the award from the head of my department (big man on campus) as well as the Vice-President of Ford (almost biggest man on campus)! He's one of 8 or 9 people who report directly to Bill Ford Jr. and he was there to congratulate us (me). :)

So, I'm feeling a little proud of myself today.

2 comments:

TRENT said...

Can your new award double as a bong? That would rock!

BTW, congrats :)

Sarah said...

thanks, but ... no.

there's nowhere to "put yer WEED in it" - haha.