February 14, 2005

snifffffffffffffff

Do you ever get a whiff of something so familiar but that you know can't be the actual smell in the air around you right then and there? Like your deceased grandmother's perfume or cooking? Or the smell of the neighbor kid's basement? Or the scent of an old lover? It just wafts by you ever so lightly, but enough to make you stop what you're doing and perk up.

I'm sitting at work and I just caught a whiff of my old band room. If you've ever stepped into a band room, you know there is a distinct scent. That scent grew to be a part of me ... on my clothes, on my hands, in my hair. I spent so much time in that spit-smelling room that I began to like it. And miss it, once it was gone. And there's no way that the band room smell can actually be a part of my work; it has it's own obvious odor.

I just wonder what that means when those old smells come back to haunt you?

No comments: